Position: WordPress Developer
Location: Phoenix, AZ (Work From Home)
Skyhook Interactive is one of Arizona’s leading boutique website development firms, and was recently named one of the Top 50 “Best Places To Work” by the Phoenix Business Journal. We’re looking for a full-time, work-from-home WordPress Developer to join our growing team.
What others have loved about this job:
- Team. You will LOVE your co-workers! Skyhook works hard to recruit & retain team members who are humble, hungry and smart, and to maintain an environment that is positive and fun. This team will bring out the best in you.
- Variety. You’ll be involved in working on dozens of websites each year, giving you remarkable exposure to lots of different businesses and the people who run them.
- Growth. You will be trained, mentored, and coached, then given opportunities to learn “on the job” by doing work for our amazing customers. Current and past clients include Olympic athletes, A-list influencers, top-tier eCommerce brands, and a long list of local heroes.
- Flexibility. You’ll be able to work from home and keep your own schedule for the most part, while still enjoying structure and regular in-person meetups with the team.
- Impact. As a member of a small team, you’ll have an outsized opportunity to have your voice heard and to impact the trajectory of the company.
- Purpose. You will have a measurable impact on the organizations and lives of our customers. You will help us make the Internet a better place every single day.
Job Description & Responsibilities
A WordPress Developer at Skyhook is responsible for taking website concepts provided by the design team and turning them into a reality. This may include building fully custom themes and plugins from the ground up, customizing/enhancing template-based sites, or performing significant maintenance operations on an existing site. You’ll need to be comfortable with the entire development process including setup, back and front-end development, and launch. Specifically, your typical responsibilities will include:
- Receiving & review comps from designers and project managers
- Preparing time/cost estimates and project plans for the work to be completed
- Preparing assets from design files (usually Sketch, though some clients still prefer Illustrator or Photoshop)
- Setting up and carrying out development in a local environment
- Using our base starter theme, version control, and staging server for project consistency and continuity
- Building the project following the provided design comps, pushing database changes to staging and code to version control regularly
- Coordinating with the project manager to conduct QA/testing and to implement scope changes as needed
- Deploying the completed site to the production server
- Maintaining the integrity of the code base as required over time
- A good fit with our culture, and lives by our core values:
- Think: Smart with an almost academic interest in learning & growing
- Move: A bias for action and hustle
- Own: Open to feedback, highly self-aware
- Advanced knowledge of WordPress including theme and plugin development
- Experience with PostCSS
- Experience with GIT
- Comfortable with the terminal/command line
- Ability to convert designs from an industry-standard design program like Sketch, XD, or Figma into fully functioning WordPress based websites
- Ability to migrate/move a WordPress website from one server to another
- Experience with Web-based server administration software (cPanel, Plesk, etc.)
- Ability to troubleshoot & maintain legacy code and sites
- Flexibility, passion for the craft, and willingness to share knowledge
- Familiarity with industry web standards and good time-management abilities, including project planning and coordination with internal project managers
- Strong organization and communication skills, ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines with high attention to detail
- 5+ years of previous website development experience
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience working at a website development agency
- Familiarity with Bootstrap, Tailwindcss or similar framework.
- Familiarity with PHPStorm, npm/yarn, Webpack, WP-CLI and similar tools
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- We use Advanced Custom Fields & Gravity Forms on nearly every project, so familiarity with those is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits
Making sure you’re well compensated for the support you give us is one of our top priorities. Typical benefits packages include:
- Competitive salary
- A share in the profits when the company does well
- Employer-paid health insurance plan, with access to vision and dental insurance as well
- 401k/Retirement plan options with 4% company match
- Generous Flex and PTO policies, including the week between Christmas and New Year’s
- Career mentoring & coaching from seasoned professionals
- Company-issued top-of-the-line hardware
- Regular team builders, dinners, funtivities, volunteer opportunities, retreats, and other community-building initiatives
Skyhook is a growing, fast-paced website development agency that provides high-end site strategy and technical implementation for organizations across the country. Current and past clients include national brands like AT&T, NFL, American Express, LifeLock and Subway, as well as local stars like Arizona State University, Banner Health, City of Phoenix, Pink Jeep Tours, and more.
Our team consists of a dozen talented marketing professionals—including designers, developers and project managers—who are passionate about using the Internet to help businesses grow and are eager to enhance their expertise through constant learning. We are mission-driven to make the Internet (and the world) a better place by pushing the limits of website performance. We’re working hard to build sites that are more creative, higher converting, better ranking, easier to maintain, and more fun to build.
How To Land The Job
- Write us a note, and answer a few questions about yourself using this application form. Bonus points for including an introductory video.
- Impress us during a short series of culture/skill interviews and evaluations
- Write your grandma a letter (optional, but kind) and wait for the congratulatory phone call.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.