Skyhook Interactive is looking for a talented WordPress developer to work with our project team to create beautiful custom themes for our clients. You will work with our design team through our project manager to produce custom websites and landing pages.
The developer should have experience building themes using starter frameworks, including Bootstrap or Roots, has built multiple WordPress powered projects from the ground up, and is comfortable with the entire development process; including setup, back and front-end development, and launch.
Typical project responsibilities include:
- Receive & review comps from project managers.
- Prepare assets from design files (usually Sketch, though some clients still prefer Illustrator or Photoshop)
- Set up and execute development in a local environment.
- Use our base starter theme, version control, and staging server for project consistency and continuity
- Build the project following the provided design comps, pushing database changes to staging and code to version control regularly.
- Coordinate with the project manager to implement changes as needed.
- Deploy the completed site to the production server, maintaining the integrity of the code base as required, over time.
Nice To Have Skills
- Familiarity with Twitter Bootstrap and Roots
- Familiarity with PHPStorm, NPM, Gulp, WPCLI and similar tools
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- We use Advanced Custom Fields & Gravity Forms on nearly every project, so familiarity with those is a plus.
- Advanced PHP/WordPress knowledge. This should be evident from your portfolio and github profile
- Flexibility, passion for the craft, and willingness to share knowledge
- Familiarity with industry web standards and good time-management abilities, including project planning and coordination with internal project managers
- Strong organization and communication skills, ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines with high attention to detail
- When you aren’t sure about something you are okay with saying “I don’t know, but I’ll look into it and get back to you.”
What We Offer
- Company-issued Macbook Pro with a purchase plan
- An enthusiastic team eager to help you grow
- Employer-sponsored health insurance plan
- Retirement plan options with company match
- Flexible work environment
- Fun, open office environment in the East Valley
- All aspects of the WordPress administrative interface
- Version control systems. (Git)
- Terminal/command line
- CSS preprocessors.
- Local development
- Task runners (Gulp, Grunt, etc.)
- Ability to extract and prepare assets from a Sketch, Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop document
- Ability to convert designs from Sketch, Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator into fully functioning WordPress based websites
- Ability to move a WordPress website from one server to another
- Web-based server administration software (cPanel, Plesk, etc.)
- Ability to troubleshoot & maintain legacy sites
- 10 or more custom WordPress website builds or 5-10 years experience in the development field.
- Agency experience is a plus.
How To Apply
At Skyhook, we care about maintaining a team that is full of thoughtful, motivated, and accountable people. You’ll fit in if you are proud of the work you do, support your team, look for opportunities to improve your craft, and want to work with people who care about each other.
- Send us a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations at email@example.com
- Include links to some work you’ve done; Sample portfolio URL’s are great but we’d also like to check out your GitHub, CodePen, etc.
- Take a few words to tell us about your typical project workflow and the tools that you use to do your job. We don’t expect that your workflow is exactly like ours or that you use the same tools that we use.
- Finally, be sure to include a convenient time to contact you via phone or email.